To ö Battj
Over 50 years of tradition
The excellence of the scampi
- The restaurant was opened in 1963 by Battista Costa, nicknamed Battj , and his wife Ida, in Portofino, and in a short time became a popular destination for lovers of good food.
- In 1978 he moved to Monte di Portofino, in the heart of the Park, where, in the old family house, continued his work. Customers were taken to the restaurant, called “Battigran“, by a three-wheeler modified for passenger transport, and even well known people were amused to get to the restaurant on the hill in this way.
- The following year Battj passed away , and in 1983, his son Gian, with his mother, opened a new restaurant in the old part of Santa Margherita Ligure, which is a short walk from the port.
- It is a family restaurant, very pleasant with a happy atmospheire, the interior is very bright with an interior design by Vernazza.
- In “To Battj” it isn’t necesary to look for a great variety of dishes or sophisticated combinations of ingredients: Today, like yesterday, the only important thing is simplicity-original recipes-fresh ingredients, combined with passion and patience in the preparation of food.
- Fish is a key ingredient, in fact, it comes fresh from fishing boats every day from the port. And it is accompanied with our woonderful local wine.
- Among the starters, muscles au gratin, octopus salad, flan with seasonal vegetables, anchovies with lemon. The main courses consist of lasagna with pesto, spaghetti with olives and the famous risotto with seafood. As in the main courses, we find prawns, all kinds of fish, grilled or baked. The Battj scampi follows a secret recipe that has been handed down in the family. This recipe is the speciality of the restarant. The scampi are cooked whole with a particular taste of lemon and something mysterious.